Addams Family

BackGrounds: Winter Quarters Temple, Winter Quarters, Nebraska

Michael Doyal ADAMS' Ancestry

Created 11 November 2006

and 1st
Charlotte Iris ALVORD
and 2nd
Sarah Wells HARTLEY
and 3rd

Lyman was born 21 January 1812 in New Salen, Franklin, Massachusetts and married first February 1836 in , Clay, Missouri. Charlotte Iris ALVORD/ALFORD, the daughter of Thaddeus ALVORD/ALFORD and Sarah (Sally) WELLINGTON. She was born 25 September 1815 in Lockport, Niagra, New York and died 9 September 1879.

He married second as her second husband 26 July 1862, in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, Sarah Wells HARTLEY, the widow of Richard SOPER and daughter of Samuel HARTLEY and Elizabeth GILL. She was born 10 August 1836, in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England and died 12 July 1921 Salem, Utah, Utah.

From her first marriage she had a child Charles SOPER; and Parley Perry SOPER he was born 29 January 1858 in Sessions, Davis, Utah. He married 22 September 1881 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, Clarissa Cornelia ATWOOD, the daughter of Alonzo Turrell ATWOOD and Mary Sophronia BARBER, and died 28 June 1887, in Salem, Utah, Utah.

He married third 21 June 1872; Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, Adeline ANDREWS.

Lyman died 5 August 1898 in Salem, Utah, Utah.

Pioneer Immigrants to Utah Territory
Page: 000839

Name:            Lyman Curtis 
Gender:          male
Birth Date:      21 Jan 1812
Birth Place:     New Salem Mass
Parent1:         Nahum Curtis 
Parent2:         Millicent Waite 
Spouse:          Charlotte Alvord; & Sarah Wells Hartley
Marriage Date:   1834;             & 26 Jul 1862
Marriage Place:  ??;               & Salt Lake City Utah
Departure Date:  14 Apr 1847
Departure Place: Winter Quarters Neb
Travel Company:  Brigham Young and the first pioneers to come into Utah
                 Valley. Levi Jackman and Lyman Curtis Traveled together.
Party:           Brigham Young Company
Arrival Date:    22 Jul 1847 (one of the nine horsemen)
Arrival Place:   Salt Lake City Utah
Religion:        LDS
Place Settled:   Salt Lake City - Sants Clara
Occupation:      Road & Canal builder
Death Date:      05 Aug 1898
Burial Date:     07 Aug 1898
Burial Place:    Salem
Sources:         Utah County Register of Death number 156 Pioneer
                 & Prominent Men of Utah
Comments:        Built Salem, Canal also Price Canal Founder of Salem, Utah
                 One of seven presidents seventies Missonary to Indians
                 Planted 1st Cotton in Utah's Dixie with brother George
                 Curtis, he and Lyman Stood guard over the bodies of
                 Prophet Joseph Smith & Hyrum Smith
Submiter Name:   Burtine Pace Carter

Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah Genealogies and Biographies C


CURTIS, George (son of Nahum Curtis and Millicent Waite, of Oakland county, Mich.). Born Oct. 27, 1823, Silver Lake, Oakland county, Mich. Came to Utah Oct. 7, 1848

CURTIS, Joseph (son of Nahum Curtis and Millicent Waite). Born Dec. 24, 1818, Erie county, Pa. Came to Utah Oct. 12, 1848.

CURTIS, Lyman (son of Nahum Curtis and Millicent Waite of Salem, Mass.). Born Jan. 21, 1812, at Salem. Came to Utah July 22, 1847, Brigham Young company.

CURTIS, Moses (son of Nahum Curtis and Millicent Waite of Connaught. Erie county, Pa.). Born May, 1816, Connaught, Pa. Came to Utah Oct. 1, 1850, Stephen Markham company.

CURTIS, Lyman (son of Nahum Curtis and Millicent Waite of Salem, Mass.). Born Jan. 21, 1812, at Salem. Came to Utah July 22, 1847, Brigham Young company. Married Charlotte Alvert, Who came to Utah in 1847. Their children: Julia, m. A. H. Rawleigh; Samuel B., m. Lucinda Stewart, m. Susan Gardner, m. Ellen Gardner; Adeline, m. Peter Elliott; Joseph Nahum, m. Sarah D. Gardner, m. Marilla Gardner; William F., m. Alice A. Higgins; Charles G., m. Virginia Killian.

An Enduring Legacy

Lyman Curtis's grandfather, Moses Curtis, was born in Boxford, Massachusetts. He afterward settled in New Salem, Franklin County, Massachusetts, where he married Molly Meacham, by whom he raised a large family.

Lyman Curtis's father, Nahum Curtis, third son of Moses Curtis and Molly Meacham, was born July 7, 1784, in New Salem, Franklin County, Massachusetts. In 1809, he married Millicent Waitt, daughter of Phineas Waitt and Methitable Foster, born January 30, 1878, in Athall, Franklin County, Massachusetts. They had a family of ten children, of whom Lyman, born January 21, 1812, in New Salem, Massachusetts, was the second child. About the year 1823 they moved to Pontiac, Oakland County, Michigan.

During the years 1832-33, his father's family joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Lyman joined on March 14, 1833. In 1834 he and eighteen others were called upon by Hyrum Smith and Lyman Wright to join Zion's Camp and go with that company to the Missouri and help redeem Zion. After traveling about one thousand miles under the guidance of Hyrum Smith and Lyman Wight, they joined the main camp June 8, 1834. When Zion's Camp was disbanded, each member was given a blessing by Patriarch Joseph Smith, Sr., and some of the promises made to Lyman Curtis will be referred to later in this history.

In 1836, his father, with the rest of the family and two of his brothers, Jacob and Jeremiah Curtis and their families, settled in Caldwell County, Missouri.

In February of 1836, Lyman was married to Charlotte Alvord, daughter of Thadeus Alvord and Sally Wellington, born in the state of New York in 1815. His mother, Millicent Curtis, died September 3, 1838, in Caldwell County, Missouri, and about that same time they buried their oldest son, Ammon Curtis.

Lyman purchased land from the government, built houses, and began to gather around them the comforts of life, but during the fall of 1838, they were surrounded by a mob militia, part of whom were painted black. They were subjected to all the horrors of mob violence and at last were compelled to give up their arms and leave their homes to the mob to defray the expenses of mobbing them. This was under the exterminating orders of Lilburn W. Boggs, governor of Missouri, and was carried out by his ever ready tool, General Lucas. They left the state suffering from the inclemency of the weather added to mob violence. Many of the Saints were compelled to travel in open wagons, exposed to all the changes of the weather, many of them not having enough clothes to keep them comfortable.

They next settled in Nauvoo where they obtained land, built houses and again began to gather around them the comforts of life. Lyman helped in building both the Kirtland Temple and the Nauvoo Temple. He traveled farther up the Mississippi River where, for nearly two years he and his brother Moses worked getting timber for the Nauvoo Temple and floating it down the river. When the timber and logs were on the river, they were bound together with wooden pins and hickory withes, then the workmen would pile their belongings on the joined logs and float down to the landing. Once, when they were bringing a raft of timber down the river, it was necessary to stop at one place for provisions. They drew near the bank and Lyman took the rope, sprang to the land and wrapped the rope around a young tree that grew near the water's edge. The force of the current on the raft drew the tree down under the water taking Lyman with it, as he did not let it loose. If he had loosened his hold, he would have been carried under the raft. When he went out of sight, some of the bystanders said, "Well, there's one Mormon gone to ? (the hot place they would have consigned all Mormons to), but the supple elasticity of the tree drew the raft back and out of the water, giving Lyman a chance to continue his journey little the worse for the wetting.

Lyman's son, Samuel B. Curtis, was born in LaCrosse while they were getting the timber. There is a small town or school district near LaCrosse that still bears the name Mormon Coulee from their having camped there.

Lyman also aided his father and brothers in polishing stones used in building the Nauvoo Temple. It sometimes took days to polish a single stone. Sand was poured on a cut stone then another large flat one was laid on top and ground back and forth until the under stone was polished.

Here also they shared in the persecutions of the Saints. He was present and viewed the dead martyrs, Joseph and Hyrum Smith. At the time of the martyrdom, enemies offered a reward for the head of the Prophet Joseph Smith. Lyman, his father, and brother George, with others, were guards over the bodies.

Lyman's father died March 11, 1846, in Nauvoo, Illinois. In the spring of 1846, Lyman shared with his family the lot of the Saints in their wholesale expulsion from their homes. When they were leaving, he sold enough corn at fifteen cents a bushel to buy a home. The remainder of the crop was left in the bin. They again took up the line of march for a new home, this time traveling westward to Council Bluffs, where they spent the winter in making preparations for the on ward journey the next season.

The ninth horseman on the "This Is The Place" monument was not identified when the monument was built and dedicated in 1947, but new evidence has been provided by Dr. Asa L. Curtis, Payson, Utah, that this person may have been his father, Lyman Curtis. This information was submitted to President J. Reuben Clark, Jr., chairman of the monument commission, and to William W. Reeder, vice-chairman of the executive committee.

In his leather-bound volume entitled Pioneer Lyman Curtis, One oŁ the Nine Horsemen, Dr. Curtis wrote, "A strange twist of fate is the reason for the omission of the name of the ninth horseman. During the program held in 1897 to honor the original pioneers, the names of eight horsemen were read and the ninth was listed as unknown. Pioneer Lyman Curtis was the only living survivor of the nine horsemen. He was present at the program. He had, earlier in the day, been honored and bedecked with medals and flowers, but through the mistake of some person on the committee his name was deleted from the list. The eight that were listed were:Orson Pratt, George A. Smith,Erastus Snow,Joseph Matthews,John Brown,John Pack,Porter Rockwell andJesse C. Little. This was a deep hurt to the aging pioneer who no longer had the physical energy to tell his stow or to establish for himself his title."

Perhaps the most pertinent evidence submitted is the statement of pioneer Curtis as recorded in an issue of the Utah Historical Magazine: "Brother Levi Jackman and myself traveling in the same wagon, arrived in Salt Lake Valley on the 22nd of July, 1847, in Apostle Orson Pratt's Company." Andrew Jenson, Assistant Church Historian, also recorded July 22, 1847, as the date pioneer Curtis entered the Valley. Lyman Curtis's name is already officially listed as a member of company thirteen, which was the company named to proceed ahead of the main camp of pioneers.

An impressive bit of evidence is in the obituary of the pioneer as written by Andreas Engberg, an early-day legislator, "Elder Lyman Curtis came west with the pioneers, entering Salt Lake Valley with Orson Pratt's Company, July 22, 1847."?Dorothy O. Rea.

A few sidelights on the entrance of the pioneers into Salt Lake Valley should be interesting and may afford a clearer view of the event. We are given a graphic description of the entrance of Orson Pratt and Erastus Snow into the valley on July 21, 1847. The two, with one horse between them, proceeded ahead of the main companies. Because the going was bad along the creek, they climbed a steep hill at the mouth of Emigration Canyon. Here the valley burst into full view. They were overwhelmed and overjoyed. They waved their hats in the air and cried, "Hosannah! Hosannah to the Lord!"

When the call was made for the Battalion, Lyman's brother, Foster Curtis, joined that company and shared the privation and fatigue of that long and tedious journey. He was one of the men who was working on the millrace when the first gold in California was discovered. He soon returned and joined the main body of the Saints in Salt Lake City.

In the spring of 1847, Lyman left his family at Council Bluffs and, in company with Elder Levi Jackman, joined President Brigham Young's Company as pioneers to travel to the Rocky Mountains. He and Levi Jackman traveled in the same wagon. At the time the mob made the Saints put their guns in the public square, under promise that they would be protected, Lyman's gun, which was at that time an extra good gun, was placed with the others. He felt he simply could not let it go, so, watching his chance when no one was near, he retrieved it. President Young appointed Lyman one of the two hunters for the pioneers and he carried this gun on his shoulders to Utah and back across the Plains, often using it to great advantage. At one time he broke the back of a deer eight hundred steps away. He had the weapon with him on his five-year Indian Mission in the Santa Clara, Washington County area in 1854-59. The gun is now in the possession of his youngest son, Dr. A. L. Curtis of Payson, Utah.

Great care had to be used in killing game. The huntera dared not kill buffalo on the run, as the smell of blood would cause the males to fight and make trouble. So, when they were away, Lyman and the other hunters would kill the females, bringing in the meat. At camp, ropes were stretched to dry or smoke the meat. When they arrived in the Valley, they still had two sacks of jerky. With fish caught in the streams and the lake, it made a fine living.

After enduring all the incidents consequent to traveling through a new country without roads or bridges, they arrived in Salt Lake Valley on July 22, in Apostle Orson Pratt's company, President Young and a portion of the company having been detained some miles back on account of sickness. Lyman built the first fire, which he said was the only honor attributed to him. During the few weeks following his arrival he assisted in plowing, planting, getting water for irrigation, making adobes, etc.

When President Young got ready to return to the Saints at Council Bluffs, Lyman and Levi Jackman divided their small stock of provisions, Lyman took one part and the team and returned in President Young's company to his family. During the summer of 1848, his brothers Hyrum, George, and Joseph came to the valley. Lyman remained at Winter Quarters until 1850, where he and his brother Moses and others were busy building and repairing wagons in order that the Saints could leave for the Valley as fast as possible.

In 1850 Lyman brought his family to Utah, his brother Moses accompanying with his family. After arriving here the second time, Lyman's days were occupied in building, improving, making water ditches, etc., until 1853 when he went on a mission to Southern Utah in accordance with a call from the Church leaders to help the Indians in beginning their farming operation. While there, he assisted in raising and picking the first cotton grown in Utah. He remained there about two years and then returned to Salt Lake City. While on this mission, his wife, Charlotte, obtained a divorce from him. Shortly after this he settled in Pond Town, since called Salem, in Utah County.

When Zion's Camp was disbanded, each member was given a blessing by Patriarch Joseph Smith, Sr. Lyman was promised that he would be an instrument in the hands of the Lord for doing good; was told that even as Moses, he should smite the rock and bring forth water upon dry land. This was given almost as a mission for his early life. President Young sent him on a mission to teach the Indians the art of farming and irrigation, his first work in this line being surveying and engineering the canal from the Little Muddy River, now Moapa, in Southern Nevada. While on his mission to the Santa Clara, President Young sent him to take charge of the construction of the canal from the Santa Clara to take water out of the vicinity below St. George. When this mission was completed and he returned to the Salt Lake Valley, President Young asked him to go south and establish a home. He was attracted by an old sawmill located at Pond Town, later renamed Salem afar his birthplace, so he bought the sawmill and with William G. McClellan, built it anew. A company was formed and for many years this sawmill was operated by Lyman Curtis.

Lyman was proficient as a carpenter and built furniture for his home, many articles of which are still in use, showing the excellent quality of his workmanship. He made a door for his home, which was at that time part of the fort. This door is well preserved and is now used as the front door of the Daughters of Utah Pioneers' log cabin in Salem.

After locating in Salem, the people found that by building a canal, water could be taken out of Spanish Fork River and much valuable land could be brought under cultivation. A company was formed and Lyman Curtis, with a simple water level, surveyed the Salem Canal. In the crudest way, men worked with picks, shovels, hoes and even buckets, or whatever they could get, yet under these great hardships and with short rations, the canal was completed. The surveyors and civil engineers of today acclaim this canal a very fine piece of engineering work.

When there was a break in the canal, Lyman, being the president, would repair it with the meager implements they had on hand and with the help of others interested in the project. If the repairs took longer than they at first anticipated, he would count his biscuits and eat in accordance with his provisions. The first canal at Price, Utah, was also his work. Lyrman Curtis became an accurate surveyor, laying out roads and canals with an improvised transit and a water level. Surely he lived and accomplished the mission predicted for him by Patriarch Joseph Smith, Sr.

As a colonizer, his judgment and leadership were highly esteemed. He would be regarded today as a practical civil engineer. Work he did in that line still stands and is a striking monument to his memory.

In the year 1862, August 28, he married Sarah Hartley Soper, a widow with two children. She was born August 10, 1836, in Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, a daughter of Samuel and Eliza Gill Hartley. She bore Lyman six children. She was a member of the ill-fated handcart company led by Edward Martin, which arrived in Great Salt Lake City November 30, 1856. ?Emma Curtis Hanks, daughter [In addition to the above sketch, Mary B. R. Campbell writes:] My mother, Julia Curtis Raleigh, told me that one time when the Saints were driven from their homes in Illinois, her father and mother, Lyman and Charlotte Alvord Curtis, were especially reluctant to leave the comforts they had worked so hard to gather around them. Along with the rest, they mentioned the new painted chairs, their first real ones, that they ought to enjoy so much. At last there was no choice. They had no idea what they might meet up with, but if they were to be with the Saints they must leave everything except what could be put into one small spring wagon.

Near them lived a family of five who had no way of going except through the kindness of their neighbors. So, Grandfather put what flour they had into the wagon, along with a small box of wearing apparel and other absolute necessities, then, along with their four children and their neighbors, they began the long trek.

It was indeed a hard move. When they reached the Illinois River, the water had risen and the wagon was swept down until it missed the place where they should have pulled up the bank. Without good footing the horses were unable to pull it out and several times the outfit went back into the water. At last, others came and helped them, but everything in the wagon was wet.

About an hour after the wagons and horses were on the bank, one of the horses, Claybank, named because of his color, laid down and died. One can fancy their feelings, especially those of Grandfather with such a responsibility resting upon him. Many people gathered around the dead horse, some with real sympathy, when a tall man reached through the crowd and said, "Mr. Curtis, here is thirty-five dollars; go and buy another horse." Grandfather was so surprised for a minute that he could only look at the money in his hand. When he turned to thank the man, he was nowhere to be seen; though the crowd looked for him, no one had seen him come or go. Others have told of the incident.

Lyman Curtis was a participant in the Walker War and the Black Hawk War. He loved to hunt and trap. Putting his meager necessities on a horse, he would set out alone to trap and hunt, returning laden with his catch. In early days he made many burial caskets, as such necessities could not be bought.

He was active in church and community work. Among other things, he helped shingle the Salem Ward meetinghouse when he was eighty years old. He was a man of faith and humility and a staunch believer in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and its mission upon the earth. He was ordained a seventy April 8, 1845, and at the time of his death was a high priest. He died at his home in Salem, Utah County, Utah, on August 5, 1898, of general debility. He was the father of fifteen children.

History of the LDS Church

8. The action at Far West took place on the 5th of February; at Carter's Settlement, on the 6th; at Durphy's Settlement on the 7th; at Nahum Curtis' Settlement on the 8th; at Haun's Mills, on the 9th,
(History of the Church, Period I, vol. iii, pp. 3-6).

Census Records

1790 Census New Salem, Franklin, Massachusetts. page 406
Phin. WAIT
     Males:   of 16 years and Up 1
     Males:   under 16 years     1
     Females: total              3

1800 Census New Salem, Franklin, Massachusetts Page 662
Phinehas WAITE
              Under 10; 10 to 16; 16 to 26; 26 to 45; 45 & Up
     Males:      1         1      --------  --------     1
     Females:    2         1      --------  --------     1

1880 Census Salem, Utah, Utah. n San Pedro River, Pima, Arizona, Page 240C
                                    Mar               |   Place of Birth   |
Name              Race Sex Age Relat Sta Occupation    |Self   Father Mother|
CURTIS Lyman       W    M   67 -----  M  Farmer         Mass.  Mass.  Mass.
  "    Sarah       W    F   50 Wife   M  Keeping House  Eng.   Eng.   Eng.
  "    Cina        W    F   17 Dau    S  At Home        Utah   Mass.  Eng.
  "    Eliza       W    F   15 Dau    S  At Home        Utah   Mass.  Eng.
  "    Milliscent  W    F   13 Dau    S  At Home        Utah   Mass.  Eng.
  "    Emma        W    F   10 Dau    S  At Home        Utah   Mass.  Eng.
  "    Asa         W    M    3 Son    S  -------------  Utah   Mass.  Eng.

1880 Census Mormon Settlement on San Pedro River, Pima, Arizona, Page 147B
                                    Mar               |   Place of Birth   |
Name              Race Sex Age Relat Sta Occupation    |Self   Father Mother|
CURTIS William F   W    M   29 -----  M  Farming        Utah   Eng.   Eng.
  "    Alice       W    F   27 Wife   M  Keeping House  Utah   Utah   Utah
  "    Genetta     W    F    5 Dau    S  At Home        Utah   Utah   Utah
  "    Willian C   W    M    2 Son    S  At Home        Ariz.  Utah   Utah

CURTIS Charles G   W    M   27 -----  M  Laborer        Utah   Eng.   Eng.
  "    Virginia    W    F   25 Wife   M  Keeping House  Misso. Misso. Misso.
  "    Ray J       W    M    5 Son    S  At Home        Utah   Utah   Misso.
  "    Julia       W    F    3 Dau    S  At Home        Utah   Utah   Misso.
  "    Ina E       W    F   4M Dau    S  At Home        Ariz.  Utah   Misso.

Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia
Volume 4
Additional Biographies

Zion's Camp
Hubbard, Marshall Moore

Curtis, Lyman, a member of Zion's Camp, was born Jan. 21, 1812, in New Salem, Franklin Co., Mass., a son of Nahum Curtis and Millicent Wait. He was baptized in Michigan, about the year 1833, visited Kirtland, Ohio, in 1833, went back to Michigan, about the year 1833, visited Kirtland, and in 1834 he and eighteen others were called upon by Hyrum Smith and Lyman Wight to join Zion's Camp and go with that company to Missouri. After traveling about one thousand miles they joined the main camp June 8, 1834. In February, 1835, he married Charlotte Alvord. His mother died Sept. 3, 1838, in Caldwell County, Mo. During this time land had been purchased from the Government, houses were built and the comforts of life were beginning to be enjoyed, when in the fall of 1838 a mob drove them from their homes. His father died March 11, 1846, in Nauvoo, and Bro. Lyman Curtis arrived in Salt Lake Valley with the original Pioneers July 22, 1847. He went back in the fall of 1847 with Brigham Young's company, coming back to the Valley with his family in 1850. In 1853 he filled a mission to the Indians of southern Utah, and while thus engaged assisted in raising the first cotton which was raised in Utah. He died Aug. 6, 1898, in Salem, Utah County, Utah.

Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia
Volume 4
Additional Biographies

Original Pioneers of Utah
Cushing, Hosea

Curtis, Lyman, one of the original pioneers of Utah, was born Jan. 21, 1812, in New Salem, Mass., a son of Nahum Curtis and Millicent Waite. He was one of the early members of the Church, being baptized about 1833, and in 1834 became a member of Zion's Camp. He endured persecution with the Saints in Missouri and Illinois and after the expulsion of the Saints from Nauvoo, migrated westward with the exiles to the Missouri. After arriving in Great Salt Lake Valley with the pioneer company in July, 1847, he returned to Winter Quarters with Pres. Brigham Young. Bro. Curtis came to Utah with his family in 1850 and in 1853 went to southern Utah and worked on a project to raise cotton and is said to have picked the first cotton raised in Utah. Returning north again, he settled in Utah County as one of the pioneers of Salem, that name being chosen by him in honor of his birthplace. There he died Aug. 8, 1898, leaving a large family.

Our Pioneer Heritage
Volume 2
The First Company To Enter Salt Lake Valley [Part Ii]

Lyman Curtis?Hunter
A Tribute

Lyman Curtis was born in Salem, Massachusetts, January 21, 1812, the eldest son of Nahum and Millicent Waite Curtis. After hearing the principles of the Mormon Church as taught by the Elders, Lyman was baptized March 14, 1833. The following year he married Charlotte Alvord. Lyman, with his father and brothers helped in thebuilding of the Kirtland Temple. Eventually he arrived at Winter Quarters with his family which now consisted of a wife and six small children. There Lyman was chosen to go with the first company of pioneers. He had at that time what was considered to be a good gun and was known as a fine hunter. Traveling in the same wagon as Levi Jackman, he entered the valley on the 22nd of July. This first company explored the valley and decided the best place to build the city was between the two forks of City Creek known as the two streams. That first evening it is said that Lyman Curtis built a huge sagebrush fire, the first fire which could be seen by many of the others who were still camped in the canyon. The next day he went back and helped others over the rough road to the site of their future home.

He, with Levi Jackman and other men, started back across the plains to Winter Quarters. These men had 6 lbs. of flour each with one horse to carry their bedding. The men walked and carried their guns. One night while they were sleeping on the plains someone stole their horse, but a light snow had fallen and they followed the tracks to an Indian camp. After a consultation with the chief the horse was returned and the journey homeward resumed. Lyman started westward in the spring of 1850 with his family and en route a ninth child was born somewhere on the plains of Nebraska. The journey was completed in October and he immediately set to work to build an adobe house. He stayed in Salt Lake for a year then went to Santa Clara Mission in southern Utah. President Young called him to take charge of the construction of the canal from the Little Muddy River, now Moapa, into southern Nevada. After this work was successfully completed he then helped build a canal out of the Santa Clara River to the vicinity below St. George.

Years later he went back to the scene of his labors and when he saw the growing fields, fruitful orchards, vineyards and peaceful homes, tears of joy ran down his cheeks. After a five year mission among the Indians he went back to Utah county and located at what was then called Pond Town. He immediately saw the possibility of taking a canal out of Spanish Fork River and by so doing irrigate about 2000 acres of land between Spanish Fork and Payson. At first he could get no one interested, so he and his two brothers Moses and George, worked all winter alone at the mouth of Spanish Fork Canyon. Some days they would work all day then the wind would blow and fill the ditch with sand. But by the next season a general enthusiasm was worked up and people from Payson, Spanish Fork and Pond Town labored with picks and shovels until seven miles of the canal was completed. Had he turned these gains to personal advantage he would have been a wealthy man but he chose differently. The settlers all shared alike. In later years when hundreds of people had made their home in this locality they showed their appreciation by changing the name of the community from Pond Town to Salem, in honor of his birthplace, Salem, Massachusetts.

Lyman Curtis died at his home in Salem, Utah August 3, 1897 at the age of 85 years. Julia V. Curtis Ellsworth.


    1. JULIA             b:  7 May 1735; Liberty, Clay, Missouri.
                         d:  6 Feb 1891; Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah.
    2. AMMON             b: 12 Jul 1837; Quincy, Adams, Illinois.
                         d: 22 Jan 1839; Quincy, Adams, Illinois.
    3. THADDEUS          b: 28 Mar 1839; Quincy, Adams, Illinois.
                         d: 25 Apr 1839; Quincy, Adams, Illinois.
    4. ADELINE CLARINDA  b: 16 May 1840; Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois.
                        md:  1 Feb 1857; Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah.
                                         Peter Mack ELLIOTT
                         d: 22 Jan 1899; Salem, Utah, Utah.
    5. HENRY             b:        1842; Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois.
                         d: 27 Aug 1842; Nauvoo, Hancock, Illinois.
    6. SAMUEL BENT       b:  9 Dec 1844; La Crosse, La Crosse, Wisconsin.
                         d:  9 Apr 1937; San Jose, Graham, Arizona.
    7. MALE SON          b:        1846; Kegg Creek, Pottawattamie, Iowa.
                         d:        1846; Kegg Creek, Pottawattamie, Iowa.
    8. JOSEPH NAHUM      b:  9 Aug 1847; Kegg Creek, Pottawattamie, Iowa.
                        md: 17 Jan 1870; Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah.
                                         Sarah Diantha GARDNER
                        md: 25 Mar 1881; , , .
                                         Marilla GARDNER
                         d: 26 Jul 1925; St. David, Cochise, Arizona.
 +  9. WILLIAM FREDERICK b: 14 Jul 1850; , , Nebraska.
                        md: 24 Dec 1872; Richfield, Sevier, Utah.
                                         Sarah Alice HIGGINS
                         d:  3 May 1928; Provo, Utah, Utah.
   10. CHARLES GRANDISON b: 16 Dec 1852; Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah.
                         d:  8 Mar 1946; Thatcher, Graham, Arizona.
   11. ORSON ELLIOTT     b:  7 Mar 1857; Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah.

CHILDREN of Lyman CURTIS and Sara Wells HARTLEY:

   12. Sarah Lousina     b: 22 May 1863; Salem, Utah, Utah.
                        md: 20 Feb 1881; Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah.
                                         Robert Augustus SNYDER
                         d:  9 Mar 1921; Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah.
   13. ELIZA JANE        b: 23 Feb 1865; Salem, Utah, Utah.
                        md: 23 Feb 1885; Salem, Utah, Utah.
                                         William Jerome DURFEY
                         d: 31 Jan 1959; , , .
   14. MILLICENT         b: 16 Jun 1867; Salem, Utah, Utah.
                        md:  9 Apr 1888; Salem, Utah, Utah.
                                         James Edwin SMITH
                         d: 22 Feb 1965; , , .
   15. EMMA CORNELIA     b: 31 Jul 1869; Salem, Utah, Utah.
                        md: 21 Nov 1889; Eureka, Juab, Utah.
                                         Charles HANKS
                         d:  6 Mar 1951; , , .
   16. JOSEPHINE MATILDA b: 30 Nov 1872; Salem, Utah, Utah.
                         d: 26 Jun 1877; Salem, Utah, Utah.
   17. ASA LYMAN         b:  3 Feb 1877; Salem, Utah. Utah.
                        md:  4 Jan 1905; Manti, Sanpete, Utah.
                                         Anne Beatrice, LITTLEWOOD
                         d:  5 Oct 1961; Payson, Utah, Utah.
Back to Nahum CURTIS' Family Page
Back to Thaddeus ALVORD/ALFORD's Family Page
Back to Michael Doyle ADAMS' Pedigree Chart
Back to Lyman CURTIS' Pedigree Chart
Back to Charlotte ALVORD/ALFORD's Pedigree Chart

Back to Our Genealogy Home Page.

To reach me by e-mail click on mailbox E-Mail ox

This Web Page was created on 11/06/2006 with   Web-O-Rama  Web-O-Rama or E-Mail Kevin Gunn